Dynamic Core for Kids - Module 1 ONLY
Dynamic Core for Kids (DC4K) is a new approach to core stability for children with challenges. Shelley Mannell, PT and Julie Wiebe, PT developed and present this online development curriculum based on the approach. The course recording is presented here as an individual learning Module. The online physiotherapy course can be purchased by selecting the bundle option at checkout - you will then have access to Modules 1-7, which is approximately 14 hours of learning.
- Articulate the evolution of practice from a musculoskeletal interpretation of core strength, to an understanding of the dynamic systems interaction of the “anticipatory core” with the intra-abdominal pressure system, the sensory systems, the “reactive core” and the brain for a responsive “Core Strategy” that meets the needs of pediatric patient populations.
- Compare and contrast the research evidence discussing anticipatory, reactive and compensatory postural control deficits in three different pediatric populations (CP, DCD, ASD).
- Discuss typical and atypical development of anticipatory core components, postural control, and common compensations in a variety of pediatric populations.
- Analyze postural alignment and functional movement with new attention to deficits in maturation, breathing mechanics, sensory deficits and faulty central stability strategies as contributing variables to pediatric patient presentation.
- Integrate the use of optimized breath mechanics as the gateway to anticipatory central stability and the postural control system.
- Execute external qualitative evaluation of the diaphragm, pelvic floor, TA and their coordinated function via observational, and palpation analysis of postural alignment, dysfunctional breathing patterns, muscular recruitment patterns, movement strategies and habits, and postural control compensations during movement tasks.
- Develop intervention programs that coordinate the “anticipatory core” foundation with more superficial postural muscle groups (postural synergists) to promote aligned posture, improved balance and functional movement patterns in pediatric patients.
- Learn to monitor, cue, and modify functional and exercise tasks to facilitate integration of Core Strategy into clinical programming for a variety of patient populations.
- Apply the of components of intervention programs, addressing the interaction of sensory systems and core stability in several diagnoses common in pediatrics (CP, hydrocephalus, ASD, toe walking and torticollis).
Audience: PT, PTA, OT, OTA, SLP, SLPA
This course is designed to integrate current theory and practice in pediatric treatment with a systems approach that uses diaphragm and breathing mechanics as an access point for core stability for children. This provides an attainable and accessible starting point to impact multiple systems that are intertwined with core stability: alignment, postural control, balance, sensory processing and emotional self-regulation as well as functional gross and fine motor skills.
The PT/OT/SLP will gain the theoretical basis and clinical reasoning for a neuromuscular systems approach to core stability to create a foundation for clinically relevant programs from assessment to evidenced based treatment plan development. Co-professional collaboration and referral will be stressed.
The PTA/COTA/SLPA will gain insight to the theoretical basis for the assessment process, and reasoning behind the approach integrated into the therapist designed POC to aide with implementation and progression of treatment programs to insure continuity of care.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE ACCESS TO THE COURSE?
Once you have purchased the courses, they are yours to keep, and watch at your own pace. Pause, review, etc for as long as you like. So you can buy now, and watch later when time permits!
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LIVE AND ONLINE COURSES?
The content for DC4K Live and DC4K Online is essentially the same. The online version has some additional materials, videos and self-guided labs to assist with online learning.
CAN I SHARE THE COURSE WITH A FRIEND OR A COLLEAGUE? HOW DOES THE GROUP DISCOUNT WORK?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code, and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material. Real time group online mentoring for Q and A is available with Shelley to support your distance learning as you work through each module or after completing the course.
This course is approve by ProCert, a program provided by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), that measures the activity for quality against clearly articulated and thoroughly researched standards and criteria. Please review all information provided asProCert’s requirements are comprehensive and the process may be more rigorous than other evaluative programs.
PT, B.Sc, BHSc,
Shelley has 25 years experience in treating babies, children, and adolescents with physical challenges and gross motor delays. Shelley is a registered Physiotherapist with the College of Physiotherapy of Ontario. She is also a member of the Neuro-Development Treatment Association (C/NDT) and a contributing writer for Cascade DAFO newsletter and a regular contributor to several blogs. In addition to her clinical work, Shelley has been active in clinical research and served as a clinical faculty member at McMaster University for 10 years. Shelley has a strong commitment to continuing education and now enjoys teaching post-graduate clinical education courses to therapists across Canada.
PT, MPT, BSc.
Julie Wiebe, has over 20 years of experience in both Sports Medicine and Pelvic Health. Her passion is to return women to fitness and sport after injury and pregnancy. She advocates for the awareness of pelvic health issues in fitness and promotes innovative solutions for women through her blog, videos and social media. She shares her evidence-based, integrative approach internationally with both professionals and women through live and online educational programs.
Her Diaphragm/Pelvic Floor Piston Science concepts have been successfully incorporated by rehab practitioners and fitness professionals into avariety of populations. Julie is a sought after speaker to provide continuing education courses and lectures internationally at clinics, academic institutions, professional organizations, state and national professional conferences.
Find out more and connect with Julie at www.juliewiebept.com or via social media Twitter/FB/IG JulieWiebePT.