Fibromyalgia Module 1: Central Sensitization and the Etiology of Fibromyalgia
About the Course
'It's Time To Demystify Fibromyalgia' by Debbie Patterson is a 3 module online course. Treatment for Fibromyalgia has not been very successful for many people until more recently with the publication of the current international guidelines Albert Einstein said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different result.”
That is what has happened in the past when we treated Fibromyalgia - well meaning health care professionals treated persistent pain the same way as they treated a recent injury or condition and expected it to respond the same way. But it didn’t. People continued to experience high levels of pain and increasing disability.
Now we know more about our brains and our nervous system. When treatment is directed at changing the pain system that is controlled by the brain, pain can and does decrease, sometimes quite significantly. The suffering can stop and you can help your patients return to activities their enjoy.
In this course, you will learn:
- The signs and symptoms that people report with FM. (Module 1)
- Key points of central sensitization. (Module 1)
- The pathogenesis of Fibromyalgia based on recent research. (Module 1)
- The recommended assessment and management strategies, paying a bit more attention to the 2012 Canadian guidelines and to more recent research.
- Up to date information about the assessment of FM. (Module 1).
- Evidence based treatment approaches. (Modules 2 &3)
- Treatment approaches for physiotherapists in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Sleep (Module 3)
The goal is for this course to be clinically relevant and immediately applicable.
This course is valuable for all health care providers working with people with Fibromyalgia.
What's Included in this Course?
- A 41-page workbook, which you can download and follow along throughout the course.
- Almost 2 hours of power point lecture and videos led by Debbie Patterson!
- Indefinite access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- When you sign up for this course you will get a one (1) month complimentary trial with the Embodia home exercise prescription software (for new registrations only). For more information about Embodia for home exercise prescription, click here to watch a short video.
- Certification of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content, such as the workbook can be downloaded, the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- Quizzes throughout to help you integrate the knowledge.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants (such as The Allied Health Professional Development Fund) and for tax purposes.
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Debbie Patterson, Registered Physiotherapist
Debbie Patterson is an orthopaedic physiotherapist with a special interest in the treatment of persistent pain. Early in her career she recognized that the medical model of physiotherapy treatment often failed people with persistent pain. This led her on a career path of learning about the current science of pain, and searching for clinical relevance in the treatment of pain.
For over 25 years her clinical practice has focused on providing evidence based treatment for persistent pain conditions, including chronic low back and neck pain, complex regional pain syndrome, phantom limb pain and fibromyalgia. She has treated pre teenage children with chronic pain conditions, teenagers, and adults.
She was a founding member of the Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Group and later was a founding member of the Pain Science Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, serving on the executive as Secretary for two years. Debbie is committed to postgraduate education of health care providers.
She provides courses on “Pain in Women”, “Fibromyalgia”, and "Understand the Brain to Treat Pain". She also mentors physiotherapists who are interested in developing their passion and skill in the treatment of persistent pain conditions.
|Instructor Name||Debbie Patterson|
|Access Duration||Indefinite access after purchase|