An Open Letter to the Embodia Community
As the world moves increasingly digital, our core values remain the same. Our growing community of 12,000+ therapists, 240 instructors, and 20,000+ patients, always comes first. What is best for them is best for us.
As Embodia grows, we have the opportunity to have a greater impact on the evolving landscape of healthcare. This also means we have a responsibility to be transparent about what we do, to work collaboratively with all stakeholders, and to allow our core values to guide us in making all of our decisions. We work hard to use this amazing expansion and attention to do good and expand our business as best we can.
In this letter, I’ll give you my perspective on our progress, the issues we face, and where we’re headed.
As we close out 2019, and plan for 2020, we are excited for what is to come.
We live in the most exciting time in human history and change is accelerating globally. We are not waiting for change to happen - we are evolving now - and this is just the beginning for us.
Evolving Trends in Healthcare
As the world population continues to grow and age, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning offer new and better ways to identify disease, diagnose conditions, crowdsource and develop treatment plans, monitor health epidemics, create efficiencies in medical research and clinical trials, and make operations more efficient to handle the increased demands on the healthcare system.
By 2020, medical data will double every 73 days. McKinsey estimates that there could be $100 billion in annual savings in healthcare by leaning on big data as well as the artificial intelligence and machine learning tools to process it. Artificial intelligence algorithms powered by recent advances in computational power learn from the data and can predict the probability of a condition to help practitioners provide a diagnosis and treatment plans. Ultimately, AI and machine learning can assist with many clinical problems as long as governing and regulatory bodies can determine how to regulate the use of algorithms in healthcare.
Embodia for Home Exercise Prescription (HEP):
Over the past 5 years we have continued to update and adjust Embodia for HEP. This year we have given it a make-over which includes:
- Smart prescribing: exercises are listed by the frequency with which they are prescribed to make it faster and easier for therapists to share best-in-class HEP with their patients.
- Print capabilities: there is now a print-friendly version of exercises. While we resisted adding this feature for many years, we received enough requests that we took the plunge!
- Record your patients: we continued to improve this feature to make it easier and faster for you to record your patients in session. You can take a video or picture of a patient doing an exercise and share it with that patient while keeping a record in their profile for your notes.
- Content: we now have over 1000 standard exercises in the library that were all filmed in a professional studio, and we continue to add content from a variety of experts and instructors.
- Clinic Dashboard: clinics now have added capabilities for easy management of payment including purchasing courses on behalf of staff members.
We added two courses to help practitioners get started with our HEP Tool:
In January 2019, we expanded our membership program, which now includes Embodia for HEP, a library of complementary courses, discounts on premium courses, and professional development mentorship.
Here's how becoming an Embodia member will help you and your practice:
- Supportive Learning: Free and discounted courses exclusive to members
- Learn on Your Time: All past recorded webinars
- Give Back: We will donate on your behalf to the Global Women's Health Initiative
- Professional HEP: Best-in-class home exercise programs for your patients (video based, available on an app - Android and Apple), which now includes print functionality.
- Mentorship: One-on-one professional development calls
We’re also excited to release more Member-only initiatives, including content pieces to keep you ahead of industry trends — delivered by our network of leaders.
Becoming an Embodia Member is only $15/month ($13.50/month on our annual plan or $11.25/month for CPA Members). Clinic and group pricing is also available.
Get started now by becoming a member.
I continue to be amazed by the number of features and improvements we make to the platform with great thanks to our community's feedback. We made several adjustments and changes to Embodia over the year and will continue to improve our product and service.
But, more importantly, we have the opportunity to work with over 200 incredible international course instructors. Here's a quick clip from several of our instructors with their top moment from 2019 and what they are most looking forward to in 2020:
Live Learning Opportunities:
In 2019 we rapidly grew the number of live training webinars that we offered. We greatly appreciate all of our guests and instructors who joined us for a conversation or a formal live presentation.
We will continue to offer webinars in 2020 - both free and paid - and we have a few scheduled for January. Click here to see what webinars are coming up.
New Offering - Private Academies:
In 2019, we quietly launched Private Academies - a custom-branded, private learning environment for large clinics and organizations interested in centralizing their training, driving transformational change, and supporting consistent practice. Organizations can now consolidate all content and tools (presentations, templates, procedure documents, videos, etc.) and make it easily accessible to staff, while providing a dashboard for managers to view learning pathways and completion rates.
We will be updating our website to reflect this new offering and unveiling a few client videos in early 2020.
Giving Back (Cyber Monday Fund):
We donated a portion of Embodia's revenue from all courses purchased between Dec 2-4 during our Cyber Monday sale. We chose to donate to the Global Women’s Health Initiative (GWHI) who's mission it is to transform the lives of women through physical therapy by informing, educating and engaging medical communities.
We are committed to developing Embodia's philanthropic efforts in 2020 and beyond.