Your Female Athlete Patients With Pelvic Pain Can Perform High-Intensity Exercises Pain Free Too!
By: Nataliya Zlotnikov, MSc, HBSc
By: Nataliya Zlotnikov, MSc, HBSc
You Actually Don't Need to Diagnose Someone to Get Them Better!
Yes, you did read that correctly, you actually don't need to diagnose someone to get them better. Wait, what now? We're healthcare practitioners, and more specifically most of us reading this are physiotherapists; what does such a demented statement even mean?! The audacity!
Well, to explain, the number of personal trainers and coaches that have helped people that have failed conventional therapy is massive. This means that maybe it is not the technical skill of the therapists but that something else is going on there.
So What Is That Something Else?
What if as healthcare and fitness professionals we were taught things that aren’t quite true (gasp!).
Research actually agrees with this statement - systematic reviews have shown that the things we thought were useful aren’t actually doing what we thought and do not work for the reasons we thought!
Anthony Lo, code name the Physio Detective, was experiencing a similar problem - too many of his clients were not getting truly better.
That simply wouldn't do, thought Anthony. He then started challenging what he believed and was taught, examined the evidence and listened to his clients. In short, he had to change the model he was working on. It took a major rethink of his whole approach to physiotherapy to help his clients achieve their dream goals within minutes, not weeks.
Sneak Peek of the Magic: Prolapse Pain No More!
Below is a sneak peek of a practical demonstration from the course.
Here, an attendee from the course was unable to perform a deadlift with 16kg (35lbs) pain-free. In just a few short minutes, this video exemplifies the investigative approach used by Anthony Lo and leaves the subject able to lift the kettlebell pain-free in less than 5 minutes. It's actually pretty magical to watch.
Patient Pain-Free Lift Demonstration
You Wanna Do That, Doncha?
You are already a good therapist or fitness professional. You already change people’s lives. But you want to be better. You want to help more people. You want to learn more about how to do the things Anthony Lo did with the client in the video above.
That’s exactly what this course teaches you.
This course has lots of theory and lectures but it is not a mere “tools in the toolbox” course. No! This course is about radically challenging your beliefs, simplifying the model we use and then applying it to our clients. You might not actually change the things you do, but we hope that you change the reasons why you do them!
Restricting Activity in the Hope of Saving a Vagina Is Not Holistic Women’s Health
That is a quote from the course I really enjoy. I could not write the blog without putting it in here!
But it's not just a fun quote, it's the reality of how Anthony Lo leads his approach.
It is often thought that when a woman is experiencing pelvic floor dysfunction, high-intensity exercises should be avoided. However, that is often false! Many of these exercises such as deadlifts, bench press, squats, plyometrics and more, can safely be performed by female athletes experiencing pelvic pain or pelvic floor dysfunction.
In this online healthcare course, Anthony will teach you modifications as well as a variety of other tools necessary to treat your high-intensity female clients to allow them to do what they love most, train.
Check out what people who have taken the course are saying, and then check out the course. We really can't stress enough just how great it is!
In This Online Healthcare Course, You Will Learn:
We've looked at some of the things that you can learn in this comprehensive course, here are a few more. As we mentioned, this course is packed!
- Foundations for Thinking: To provide a chance for the healthcare practitioner and fitness professional to think about their thinking, models, biases, and beliefs and then to challenge them!
- Knowledge: To provide a framework from which you can approach the acquisition of knowledge, assessment, and management of female athletes.
- Assessment and Management: To provide participants with the tools to be able to communicate, assess and treat high-intensity training athletes more specifically.
- Training for Female Athletes: To provide a basic understanding of high-intensity training (using CrossFit as a base model but including Bootcamp, HIIT, Tabata, etc.) for female athletes/participants.
- Ante- and post-natal: Exercise considerations in high-intensity exercise.
- Injuries: Provide an overview of common high intensity, exercise-related musculoskeletal injuries of the lumbopelvic-hip complex and options on how to manage them using exercise.
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction in Exercise: To provide an understanding of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction in exercise and appropriate modifications for impact and relatively heavy lifting exercises.
- Applied Core Stability: To provide a way of utilizing “core stability” principles with a test-retest model using performance as a measure of effectiveness.
- Body Weight Movement Technique and Modifications: To provide an overview of the common body weight and loaded movements involving the lumbopelvic-hip complex, sound technique guidelines, and appropriate modifications.
- Biological-Psychosocial Balance for High-Intensity Athletes: To provide a realistic and practical balance between the biological and the psychosocial aspects in managing the high-intensity training athlete, their coaches and their expectations.
- Understand the Concepts: To provide an understanding of the concepts of #tensiontotask, #spreadtheload, #variabilityiskey, and #BulletproofPFRoutine.
Do Something Different!
40% of women will have pelvic organ prolapse. Around 50% of women who exercise suffer from incontinence. 1 in 7 to 1 in 3 women will suffer from pelvic pain during their lifetime. A lot of these women feel that they cannot return to high-intensity exercise, or to any exercise at all. That is truly debilitating and a huge impact on long-term physical and mental health.
If your pelvic health clients and pelvic health athlete clients are not getting truly better (like Anthony Lo's clients weren't), it may be time to do something different. Because doing the same thing over and over again and getting no results but expecting something different is lunacy.
Anthony's mission is to change the world for women - to be able to truly empower them to do the most they can, to achieve their dreams, to live life the way they want to, without fear or hesitation. To do that he needs our help. He needs health and fitness professionals to join with him to make this a reality.
Anthony would love to have you on the team. Will you join him on this mission to change the world?
B.App.Sc.(Physio)(USyd)., Master in Manual Therapy (UWA)
Antony Lo is a physiotherapist from Australia and runs The Physio Detective service. He earned his degree from the University of Sydney and has been in practice since 1997.
He completed his post-graduate masters in Manual Therapy (Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy) from the University of Western Australia and commenced his Specialisation training in Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy.
He has been involved with treating CrossFit athletes since 2011 and has helped some of the world’s best CrossFitters at the highest levels through to beginners of all ages. He loves and participates in CrossFit and is a strong advocate for the sport. Through participation and through his work as a Physiotherapist at all levels of CrossFit, he has developed a model of treatment that utilises the best from Sports Science, Musculoskeletal/Sports Physiotherapy, Pain Science, and Women’s Health research to provide a realistic holistic model of care balancing the biopsychosocial model of healthcare.
He is NOT an employee of CrossFit, he does not represent or work for them in any way and his views and opinions are entirely his own. He holds a CrossFit level 1 – Trainer Certificate and is a CrossFit Football Coach/Consultant (now CrossFit Sports Specific Application). Antony has a wife and 3 beautiful children in the best city in the world – Sydney, Australia!